At Kartwheel we design for the lives around us. We’re craftspeople, visionaries, innovators and thought leaders. Fueled by passion and entrepreneurial spirit, we bring new ideas to solve challenging problems. We are fond believers in our thoughts becoming things.
Working at Kartwheel consists of a wide range of projects from experiential design and custom furniture to architectural millwork and steelwork. Inside our workshop you will work closely with the trained craftsman to build creative solutions in every project we deliver. We strive to bring a positive impact to everyday spaces and objects in our lives. We are looking for a talented and motivated Draftsman/CNC programer to work with our team to convert designs into technical plans and write CAM files for the CNC router.
Draftsman responsibilities include gathering drawings and specifications, calculating material and equipment requirements and setting up production methods. If you have hands-on experience with (CAD) software and are familiar with building processes, we’d like to meet you. Ultimately, you’ll help us build functional, secure and well-designed products and structures that meet our needs. Our ideal hire would have experience in architectural millwork, custom cabinetry and custom furniture. We work in a fast paced environment where the ability to handle multiple ongoing projects is a must.
- Work with Creative Director and Management to draft detailed technical drawings for client approval and shop production.
- Create detailed designs with computer-aided design (CAD) software
- Identify potential operational issues and redesign products to improve functionality
- Ensure final designs comply with regulations and quality standards
- Create manuals that describe existing products’ operation, features and maintenance
- Write CNC code for work to be executed with efficiency
- Material take offs for office/management to order
- Research hardware for custom applications
- Calculate dimensions, weight limitations and requirements in materials
- Describing production methods step-by-step (including equipment and software types to be used)
- Prepare multiple versions of designs for review
- Submit material samples to architect
- Work under the supervision of Management
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Creative approaches for CNC machine processes to maximize processes
Must Have Requirements:
- Experience in Rhino, Mozaik, Sketchup and AutoCAD
- Positive attitude and accepting to constructive criticism.
- Have extensive knowledge of construction methods of traditional woodworking joinery
- Have extensive knowledge of cabinet construction
- Have extensive knowledge in veneers, furniture construction, architectural woodworking
- Extensive knowledge in furniture and cabinet hardware
- Proven work experience as a Draftsman/CNC programmer
- Extensive knowledge in G-code for a CNC router
- In-depth understanding of architectural plans
- In-depth understanding of millwork practices
- High school Diploma and previous experience Required
- Must be organized and pay attention to detail
- Must have the ability to track changes and have accountability
- Must be able to listen and take direction
- Good math & problem solving skills.
- Ability to read Architectural drawings accurately and check your own work.
- Use good drafting practices to produce high quality drawings
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Must excel at working in a team environment.
- Ability to read and translate architectural drawings and/or sketches into shop drawings.
- Capable of meeting deadlines & working on multiple projects.
- Knowledge of Woodworking fabrication, welding, machining and assembly practices
- Ability to troubleshoot and give suggestions for potential solutions
- Desire to be a member of a proactive thinking team.
Additional Desired Experience:
- Having an understanding of steel fabrication is a plus, not required
- Familiarity with 3D modeling tools
- Associates Degree Preferred
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite preferred but not required
- Knowledge of the Architectural Woodwork Standards
- Certification from the American Design Drafting Association (ADDA)
- Minimum 5 years experience in architectural, millwork, steelwork and cabinet drafting
- Minimum 5 years experience in 4 Axis CNC Router programming for hardwoods, plywood, acrylic, foam, and non ferrous metals
- AutoCAD, Rhino 5 or 6, Mozaik Cabinet Software, Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Creative a plus, Asana, and Instagantt
- Salary based on Experience
If this feels like a fit we would love to meet you. Please email us at email@example.com with the title Draftsman Position in the subject line. Please include examples of your work, what your role in the work being presented was and why you are a good fit.